TE71 Part:4 Playing catch up…

At this point I have gone forward quit a bit. Keeping up with posting on here is bit harder than it seems…haha

I’ll start off with the interior as they have details are often not seen once the body is in place. Unless of course it’s a convertible or has had it’s doors to be in the opened position. But when it comes to these motorized chassis, you can bet that there will be some slight issues or some major ones. In this case it’s not so bad, but there’s always room for improvement.

The style of the interior I’m going with is fairly stock, I’m just changing a few things around. The first thing I changed were the seats. I decided to use a stock seat from an Aoshima AE86 kit and a bucket seat from one of the D1 kits.

20140507-125450.jpg

20140507-125511.jpg

The back seats sit on top of what would be the battery compartment.
This makes the seats sit about an 1/8 of an inch too high. After doing some trimming along the bottom edges it can sit lower.

20140513-143341.jpg

20140513-143402.jpg

20140513-143418.jpg

For the front passenger seat, I decided I to give it a bit more dimension. I added the backside of the seat along with some of the trim that is around the seat. Although it might not be fully visible when done, what I can see won’t be a hollow back side.
The bucket seat only needed a bit of cleaning and filling.

20140513-143919.jpg

20140513-143951.jpg

20140513-144011.jpg

Since this TE like to throw it sideways, how about a back half roll cage.
It’s a fairly simple. I used the main hoop from a Fujimi AE86 kit. The white styrene tubing is what I added. A couple of base plates, some bars going diagonally and a harness bar. Nothing extravagant. I made some holes on the back seats by the rear wheel arches. As this is the most common mounting point for this style cage.

20140513-145052.jpg

20140513-145111.jpg

20140513-145126.jpg

20140513-145145.jpg

The cage fits nicely with the body mounted. You have to keep in mind of the glass as well. So spacing is crucial around cage. I left a about 1/8″ gap around the top of mine. The sides are taken care of already cause the Fujimi hoop was a perfect fit.

20140513-145619.jpg

After I finished the cage, I shot primer on most of the parts and even some paint of some of it as well. Including the body itself. The primer I used on this is light gray Duplicolor filler primer. It is for automotive use, but it’s safe one plastics and has no affect on Tamiya and Testors one coat paints. I recommend putting the can in warm water before spraying for a smoother coat.

20140513-151301.jpg

Here’s the body after I wet sanded the primer.

20140513-152032.jpg

For the body color I went with Testors once coat Root Beer brown. It’s always been a favorite color of mine on this car. So I had to go with it.

20140513-152102.jpg

20140513-152249.jpg

After letting it cure over night, the smooth shiny look of the paint went to a bit more dull not so shiny look. So I blasted a few coats of the high gloss clear on top of it. It too went a bit dull than I wanted it to be. So I am in the process of wet sanding the clear. So far only the roof has been brought to a shine.

20140513-152620.jpg

20140513-152636.jpg

Don’t mind the wheel colors, they are not done.

That’s it for the moment. Till next time.

Thanks for stopping by.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s